Re: too big min_free_kbytes

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 01:15:49PM +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:
> I got a chance to test this today and I see similar results. I still do see
> kswapd entering D state occasionally and I'm convinced it's because it's
> calling congestion_wait() i.e. it's not real IO but it's being accounted
> for as an IO-related wait. That said, it's mostly asleep (S) or running (R)
> and free memory is at reasonable levels so it's a big improvement.

I never seen it in D state here but maybe it happens
occasionally and I would expect the R/S/D states not to be altered by
this change, just the free levels should be altered.

> I think this is the best direction to take for the moment to close the obvious
> bug. More thought is required on when exactly kswapd is going to sleep and
> on what zones the allocator should be using but there is no quick answer that
> will simply have other consequences. As much as I'd like to investigate this
> further now, I'm in the process of changing jobs and expect to be heavily
> disrupted for at least a month during the changeover. So, for this;

I full agree we should check (with less hurry) exactly when kswapd is
going to sleep in this load in case it's waken too early. I expect it
will remain an independent issue and I don't expect this patch having
to be reversed once we figure why free levels stays always at "high"
and we don't see them reaching "low".

Thanks for the review,
Andrea