Re: hunting an IO hang

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Chris Mason <chris.mason@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > I've reverted 744ed1442757767ffede5008bb13e0805085902e, and
>> > d8505dee1a87b8d41b9c4ee1325cd72258226fbc and the run has lasted longer
>> > than any runs in the past.
>> >

>> Confirmed that reverting these patches makes the problem unreproducible
>> for the many_dd's + fsmark for at least an hour here.
>
> After 2+ hours I'm still running with those two commits gone.  I'm
> confident they are the cause of the crashes.  I also haven't triggered
> the cfq stalls without them.

Ok, so the question is how to proceed from here.

I can easily revert them, and since I was planning on doing -rc1
tonight, I probably will. But I promised Chris to delay until tomorrow
if he needed time to chase this down, and while it's now apparently
chased down, I'll certainly also be open to delaying until tomorrow if
somebody has a patch to fix it.

So right now my plan is:
 - I will revert those two later today and then release -rc1 in the evening
UNLESS
 - somebody posts a patch for the problem in the next few hours and
Chris/others are willing to give it a good test overnight (or whatever
people feel is "sufficient" based on how easily they can trigger the
issue), in which case I'd do -rc1 tomorrow (either with the reverts or
the patch, depending on how testing works out)

Sounds like a plan?

(Also, I'm really happy it didn't turn out to be the lock-less RCU
lookup. I didn't really think it would be based on the symptoms, but
I'm still happy. Reverting a few random MM patches is _sooo_ much
easier than having to worry about some subtle locking issue with the
totally changed VFS name lookup)

                       Linus