Re: CLOCK-Pro algorithm

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 11:24:00PM +0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> I originally tried to send this to the addresses for Song Jiang, Feng
> Chen and Xiaodong Zhang on the USENIX paper but it bounced from all of
> them. So I hope you will indulge me if I send it to the list in the
> hope it might reach them. Or perhaps someone here could answer the
> questions below.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Adrian
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am just beginning work on an MSc project on Linux memory management
> and have been reading your paper to the 2005 USENIX Annual Technical
> Conference. I was wondering what the current status of this algorithm
> is as regards the Linux kernel.
>
> I can find this: http://linux-mm.org/ClockProApproximation and patches
> for testing with the 2.6.12 kernel but am not entirely clear as to
> whether this algorithm was included: certainly all the books I have
> read still talk of the LRU lists that are similar to the 2Q model.

The current reclaim algorithm is a mash of a number of different
algorithms with a number of modifications for catching corner cases and
various optimisations. In terms of an MSc, your best bet is to do a
general literature review of replacement algorithms and then do your
best to write a short paper describing the Linux page replacement
algorithm identifying which replacement algorithms it takes lessons
from.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student                          Linux Technology Center