Re: mm: Why WQ_MEM_RECLAIM workqueue remains pending?

Hello,

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 07:51:07PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> I tried below change. It indeed reduced delays, but even with WQ_HIGHPRI, up to a
> few seconds of delay is unavoidable? I wished it is processed within a few jiffies.

The rescuer doesn't take long to kick in but there's only one in the
entire system.  If you have 64 cpus, that one rescuer is gonna be
visiting each CPU servicing them one-by-one and the scheduling
latencies and execution times accumulate.  Again, this is a deadlock
prevention mechanism.  If these per-cpu tasks need to be executed on
every CPU without latency regardless of memory pressure, it has to
pre-allocate all the resources up-front - ie. use kthread_workers
instead of workqueue.

> By the way, I think it might be useful if delay of each work item is
> printed together...

Yeah, sure, please feel free to submit a patch.

Thanks.

--
tejun