Difference between CommitLimit and Comitted_AS?

Hi All,

Am interested in differentiating the meaning of Commit* and Vmalloc*.

I had thought that the Committed_AS was the sum of memory allocations,
and Commit_Limit was the available memory to serve this from.

That said, I winced when I saw that Committed_AS was almost twice the
Commit__Limit.

Vmalloc looks inconsequential, but, the Commit* numbers must be there
for a reason.

Is it safe to continue running with such a perceived over-commit?

Is this evidence of a leak or garbage collection issues?

This system functions as an App/Web front end using  Tomcat servelet
engine, FWIW.

Thanks

John Westerdale

MemTotal:     16634464 kB