Re: [RFC 0/3] Regressions due to 7b79d10a2d64 ("mm: convert kmalloc_section_memmap() to populate_section_memmap()") and Kasan initialization on

On 03/10/2017 03:58 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:08 AM, Andrey Ryabinin <aryabinin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 02/25/2017 10:03 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
>>> [ adding kasan folks ]

>>> I think your intuition is correct here, and yes, it is a safe
>>> assumption that x86_64 implies X86_FEATURE_PSE. The following patch
>>> works for me. If there's no objections I'll roll it into the series
>>> and resubmit the sub-section hotplug support after testing on top of
>>> 4.11-rc1.
>>>

>> Perhaps it would be better to get rid of vmemmap in kasan code at all
>> and have a separate function that populates kasan shadow.
>> kasan is abusing API designed for something else. We already had bugs on arm64 (see 2776e0e8ef683)
>> because of that and now this one on x86_64.
>> I can cook patches and send them on the next week.
>>

> Any concerns with proceeding with the conversion to explicit
> vmemmap_populate_hugepages() calls in the meantime? That allows me to
> unblock the sub-section hotplug patches and kasan can move away from
> vemmap_populate() on its own schedule.

No objections.
vmemmap_populate_hugepages() seems like the best way to go for now given that
my patches will cause additional conflict with 5-level page tables.