Re: [8/8,v3] NUMA Hotplug Emulator: documentation

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 07:33:51AM +0800, Shaohui Zheng wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 11:03:45PM +0800, AmÃrico Wang wrote:
>>
>> >From your documentation above, it looks like you are trying
>> to move one CPU between nodes?
>Yes, you are correct. With cpu probe/release interface, you can hot-remove a
>CPU from a node, and hot-add it to another node.

Can I also move the CPU to another node _after_ it is hot-added?
Or I have to hot-remove it first and then hot-add it again?

>> >+	cpu_hpe=on/off
>> >+		Enable/disable cpu hotplug emulation with software method. when cpu_hpe=on,
>> >+		sysfs provides probe/release interface to hot add/remove cpu dynamically.
>> >+		this option is disabled in default.
>> >+
>>
>> Why not just a CONFIG? IOW, why do we need to make another boot
>> parameter for this?
>Only the developer or QA will use the emulator, we did not want to change the
>default action for common user who does not care the hotplug emulator, so we
>use a kernel parameter as a switch. The common user is not aware the existence
>of the emulator.

I think it is also useful to other Linux users, e.g. after I
boot with "maxcpus=1", I can still bring the rest 3 CPU's
back without reboot.

Thanks.

--
Live like a child, think like the god.