Re: [5/8,v3] NUMA Hotplug Emulator: support cpu probe/release in x86

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 08:01:04AM +0800, Shaohui Zheng wrote:
>On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 10:45:11PM +0800, AmÃrico Wang wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:08:04AM +0800, shaohui.zheng@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> >From: Shaohui Zheng <shaohui.zheng@xxxxxxxxx>
>> >
>> >Add cpu interface probe/release under sysfs for x86. User can use this
>> >interface to emulate the cpu hot-add process, it is for cpu hotplug
>> >test purpose. Add a kernel option CONFIG_ARCH_CPU_PROBE_RELEASE for this
>> >feature.
>> >
>> >This interface provides a mechanism to emulate cpu hotplug with software
>> > methods, it becomes possible to do cpu hotplug automation and stress
>> >testing.
>> >

>> Huh? We already have CPU online/offline...
>>
>> Can you describe more about the difference?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>Again, we already try to discribe the difference between logcial cpu
>online/offline and physical cpu online/offline many times.

I see, with "maxcpus=" we will only have the specified number
of CPU's which can be online/offline, you are trying to bring
the rest of CPU's hidden by "maxcpus=". :) Correct?

I think the idea is cool, but I think you need to improve
the documetion, for people who don't follow the hardware
concepts like me. ;)

Thanks.

--
Live like a child, think like the god.