Re: More OOM problems

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 09:10:13AM +0200, Vlastimil Babka wrote:

> Great indeed. Note that meanwhile the patches went to mainline so
> we'd definitely welcome testing from the rest of you who had
> originally problems with 4.7/4.8 and didn't try the linux-next
> recently. So a good point would be to test 4.9-rc1 when it's
> released. I hope you don't want to discover regressions again too
> late, in the 4.9 final release :)

Hello!

I have a mixed-purpose HTPCish box running MythTV, etc. that I recently
upgraded from 4.6.7 to 4.8.4. This upgrade started OOM killing of various
processes even when there is plenty (gigabytes) of memory as page cache.

This is with CONFIG_COMPACTION=y, and it occurs with or without swap on.
I'm not able to confirm on 4.9-rc2 since nouveau doesn't support NV117
and binary blob nvidia doesn't yet like the changes to get_user_pages.

4.8 includes "prevent premature OOM killer invocation for high order
request" which sounds like it should fix the issue, but this certainly
does not seem to be the case for me. I copied kern.log and .config here:
http://0x.ca/sim/ref/4.8.4/

I see that this is reverted in 4.9-rc and replaced with something else.
Unfortunately, I can't test this workload without the nvidia tainting,
and "git log --oneline v4.8..v4.9-rc2 mm | grep oom | wc -l" returns 13.
Is there some stuff I should cherry-pick to try?

Simon-