Re: Propagating GFP_NOFS inside __vmalloc()

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> As Dave mentioned XFS also needs GFP_NOFS allocations in the low-level
> vmap machinery, which is shared with vmalloc.

Ok, so vm_map_ram() probably needs to be modified to allow gfp_t to be
passed in after the pte wrappers are in place that can be used to avoid
the hard-wired GFP_KERNEL in arch code (Ricardo is working on that, I
believe?); once that's done, it's trivial to pass the gfp_t for xfs to
lower-level vmalloc code to allocate the necessary vmap_block, vmap_area,
and radix tree data structures from the slab allocator (they are all
order-0, at least).

I think the ultimate solution will be able to allow GFP_NOFS to be passed
into things like vm_map_ram() and __vmalloc() and then try to avoid new
additions and fix up the callers later, if possible, for the eventual
removal of all gfp_t formals from the vmalloc layer.