Re: RFC: reviving mlock isolation dead code

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Hugh Dickins <hughd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010, KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
>> Michel Lespinasse <walken@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > The other mlock related issue I have is that it marks pages as dirty
>> > (if they are in a writable VMA), and causes writeback to work on them,
>> > even though the pages have not actually been modified. This looks like
>> > it would be solvable with a new get_user_pages flag for mlock use
>> > (breaking cow etc, but not writing to the pages just yet).
>>
>> To be honest, I haven't understand why current code does so. I dislike it too. but
>> I'm not sure such change is safe or not. I hope another developer comment you ;-)
>
> It's been that way for years, and the primary purpose is to do the COWs
> in advance, so we won't need to allocate new pages later to the locked
> area: the pages that may be needed are already locked down.

Thanks Hugh for posting your comments. I was aware of Suleiman's
proposal to always do a READ mode get_user_pages years ago, and I
could see that we'd need a new flag instead so we can break COW
without dirtying pages, but I hadn't thought about other issues.