Re: RFC: reviving mlock isolation dead code

Hi

> My proposal would be as follows:
>
> sys_mlock
>        down_write(mmap_sem)
>        do_mlock()
>                for-each-vma
>                        turn on VM_LOCKED and merge/split vma
>        up_write(mmap_sem)
>        for (addr = start of mlock range; addr < end of mlock range;
> addr = next_addr)
>                down_read(mmap_sem)
>                find vma for addr
>                next_addr = end of the vma
>                if vma still has VM_LOCKED flag:
>                        next_addr = min(next_addr, addr + few pages)
>                        mlock a small batch of pages from that vma
> (from addr to next_addr)
>                up_read(mmap_sem)
>
> Since a large mlock() can take a long time and we don't want to hold
> mmap_sem for that long, we have to allow other threads to grab
> mmap_sem and deal with the concurrency issues.

Sound good.
Can you please consider to post actual patch?

> The races aren't actually too bad:
>
> * If some other thread creates new VM_LOCKED vmas within the mlock
> range while sys_mlock() is working: both threads will be trying to
> mlock_fixup the same page range at once. This is no big deal as
> __mlock_vma_pages_range already only needs mmap_sem held for read: the
> get_user_pages() part can safely proceed in parallel and the
> mlock_vma_page() part is protected by the page lock and won't do
> anything if the PageMlocked flag is already set.
>
> * If some other thread creates new non-VM_LOCKED vmas, or munlocks the
> same address ranges that mlock() is currently working on: the mlock()
> code needs to be careful here to not mlock the pages when the vmas
> don't have the VM_LOCKED flag anymore. From the user process point of
> view, things will look like if the mlock had completed first, followed
> by the munlock.

Yes, here is really key point. If user can't notice the race, it doesn't exist practically.

> The other mlock related issue I have is that it marks pages as dirty
> (if they are in a writable VMA), and causes writeback to work on them,
> even though the pages have not actually been modified. This looks like
> it would be solvable with a new get_user_pages flag for mlock use
> (breaking cow etc, but not writing to the pages just yet).

To be honest, I haven't understand why current code does so. I dislike it too. but
I'm not sure such change is safe or not. I hope another developer comment you ;-)