Re: More OOM problems

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:53:48AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Mon 19-09-16 09:42:37, Lorenzo Stoakes wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:32:15AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> > >
> > > so this is the same thing as in Linus case. All the zones are hitting
> > > min wmark so the should_compact_retry() gave up. As mentioned in other
> > > email [1] this is inherent limitation of the workaround. Your system is
> > > swapless but there is a lot of the reclaimable page cache so Vlastimil's
> > > patches should help.
> >
> > I will experiment with a linux-next kernel and see if the problem
> > recurs. I've attempted to see if there is a way to manually reproduce
> > on the mainline kernel by performing workloads that triggered the
> > OOM (loading google sheets tabs, compiling a kernel, playing a video
> > on youtube), but to no avail - it seems the system needs to be
> > sufficiently fragmented first before it'll trigger.
> >
> > Given that's the case, I'll just have to try using the linux-next
> > kernel and if you don't hear from me you can assume it did not repro
> > again :)
>
> OK, fair deal ;)

Actually, I'll break the deal :) I've been running workloads similar to previous
weeks when I encountered the issue - including kernel builds, video playing,
lotsa tabs, etc. and also tried to intentionally eat up a bit of RAM from
time-to-time and have not seen a single OOM, so it looks like this is sorted it
for my system, notwithstanding Murphy's law.

(I ended up using the mm tree as irritatingly I couldn't get linux-next working
with the arch linux build system, but it definitely includes Vlastimil's
patches.)