Re: [UnifiedV4 00/16] The Unified slab allocator (V4)

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> V3->V4:
> - Lots of debugging
> - Performance optimizations (more would be good)...
> - Drop per slab locking in favor of per node locking for
>   partial lists (queuing implies freeing large amounts of objects
>   to per node lists of slab).
> - Implement object expiration via reclaim VM logic.

I applied this set on top of Pekka's for-next tree reverted back to
5d1f57e4 since it doesn't apply later then that.

Overall, the results are _much_ better than the vanilla slub allocator
that I frequently saw ~20% regressions with the TCP_RR netperf benchmark
on a couple of my machines with larger cpu counts.  However, there still
is a significant performance degradation compared to slab.

When running this patchset on two (client and server running
netperf-2.4.5) four 2.2GHz quad-core AMD processors with 64GB of memory,
here're the results:

	threads		SLAB		SLUB		diff
	16		207038		184389		-10.9%
	32		266105		234386		-11.9%