Re: [RFC 0/2] New MAP_PMEM_AWARE mmap flag

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 10:02 PM, Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [ adding Thanu ]
>
>> Very few applications actually care about atomic sector writes.
>> Databases are probably the only class of application that really do
>> care about both single sector and multi-sector atomic write
>> behaviour, and many of them can be configured to assume single
>> sector writes can be torn.
>>
>> Torn user data writes have always been possible, and so pmem does
>> not introduce any new semantics that applications have to handle.

I know about BTT and DAX only at a conceptual level and hence do not understand
this mailing thread fully. But I can provide examples of important applications
expecting atomicity at a 512B or a smaller granularity. Here is a list:

(1) LMDB [1] that Dan mentioned, which expects "linear writes" (i.e., don't
need atomicity, but need the first byte to be written before the second byte)

(2) PostgreSQL expects atomicity [2]

(3) SQLite depends on linear writes [3] (we were unable to find these
dependencies during our testing, however). Also, PSOW in SQLite is not relevant
to this discussion as I understand it; PSOW deals with corruption of data
*around* the actual written bytes.

(4) We found that ZooKeeper depends on atomicity during our testing, but we did
not contact the ZooKeeper developers about this. Some details in our paper [4].

It is tempting to assume that applications do not use the concept of disk
sectors and deal with only file-system blocks (which are not atomic in
practice), and take measures to deal with the non-atomic file-system blocks.
But, in reality, applications seem to assume that 512B (more or less) sectors
are atomic or linear, and build their consistency mechanisms around that.

[1] http://www.openldap.org/list~s/openldap-devel/201410/msg00004.html
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/wal-internals.html , "To deal
with the case where pg_control is corrupt" ...
[3] https://www.sqlite.org/atomiccommit.html , "SQLite does always assume that
a sector write is linear" ...
[4] http://research.cs.wisc.edu/wind/Publications/alice-osdi14.pdf

Regards,