Re: [RFC 0/2] New MAP_PMEM_AWARE mmap flag

Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> I see.  So I think your argument is that new file systems (such as Nova)
>> can have whacky new semantics, but existing file systems should provide
>> the more conservative semantics that they have provided since the dawn
>> of time (even if we add a new mmap flag to control the behavior).
>>
>> I don't agree with that.  :)
>>

> Fair enough.  Recall, I was pushing MAP_DAX not to long ago.  It just
> seems like a Sisyphean effort to push an mmap flag up the XFS hill and
> maybe that effort is better spent somewhere else.

Given Dave's last response to Boaz, I see what you mean, and I also
understand Dave's reasoning better, now.  FWIW, I never disagreed with
spending effort elsewhere for now.  I did think that the mmap flag was
on the horizon, though.  From Dave's comments, I think the prospects of
that are slim to none.  That's fine, at least we have a definite
direction.  Time to update all of the slide decks.  =)

Cheers,
Jeff