Re: [RFC 0/2] New MAP_PMEM_AWARE mmap flag

On Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Boaz Harrosh <boaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/21/2016 09:51 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
> <>
>>> Please advise?
>>
>> When this came up a couple weeks ago [1], the conclusion I came away
>> with is
>
> I think I saw that talk, no this was not suggested. What was suggested
> was an FS / mount knob. That would break semantics, this here does not
> break anything.

No, it was a MAP_DAX mmap flag, similar to this proposal.  The
difference being that MAP_DAX was all or nothing (DAX vs page cache)
to address MAP_SHARED semantics.

>> that if an application wants to avoid the overhead of DAX
>> semantics it needs to use an alternative to DAX access methods.  Maybe
>> a new pmem aware fs like Nova [2], or some other mechanism that
>> bypasses the semantics that existing applications on top of ext4 and
>> xfs expect.
>>

> But my suggestion does not break any "existing applications" and does
> not break any semantics of ext4 or xfs. (That I can see)
>
> As I said above it perfectly co exists with existing applications and
> is the best of both worlds. The both applications can write to the
> same page and will not break any of application's expectation. Old or
> new.
>
> Please point me to where I'm wrong in the code submitted?
>
> Besides even an FS like Nova will need a flag per vma like this,
> it will need to sort out the different type of application. So
> here is how this is communicated, on the mmap call, how else?
> And also works for xfs or ext4
>
> Do you not see how this is entirely different then what was
> proposed? or am I totally missing something? Again please show
> me how this breaks anything's expectations.

What happens for MAP_SHARED mappings with mixed pmem aware/unaware
applications?  Does MAP_PMEM_AWARE also imply awareness of other
applications that may be dirtying cachelines without taking
responsibility for making them persistent?