Re: [patch -mm v2 04/10] oom: remove special handling for pagefault ooms

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> > Your nack is completely unjustified, we're not going to stop oom killer
> > development so memcg can catch up.  This patch allows pagefaults to go
> > through the typical out_of_memory() interface so we don't have any
> > ambiguity in how situations such as panic_on_oom are handled or whether
> > current's memcg recently called the oom killer and it PREVENTS needlessly
> > killing tasks when a parallel oom condition exists but a task hasn't been
> > killed yet.
> >
> > mem_cgroup_oom_called() is completely and utterly BOGUS since we can
> > detect the EXACT same conditions via a tasklist scan filtered on current's
> > memcg by looking for parallel oom kills, which out_of_memory() does, and
> > locking the zonelists to prevent racing in calling out_of_memory() and
> > actually setting the TIF_MEMDIE bit for the selected task.
> >
> > You said earlier that you would wait for the next mmotm to be released and
> > could easily rebase on my patchset and now you're stopping development
> > entirely and allowing tasks to be needlessly oom killed via the old
> > pagefault_out_of_memory() which does not synchronize on parallel oom
> > kills.
> >
> > I'm completely sure that you'll remove mem_cgroup_oom_called() entirely
> > yourself since it doesn't do anything but encourage VM_FAULT_OOM loops
> > itself, so please come up with some constructive criticism of my patch
> > that Andrew can use to decide whether to merge my work or not instead of
> > thinking you're the only one that can touch memcg.
> >

> Your patch seems not to go earlier than mine.

Your latest patch, "memcg: fix oom killer behavior v2" at
http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=126750597522101 removes the same code
that this patch removes from memcg.  Your convoluting the issue by saying
they have any dependency on each other at all, and that's why it's
extremely frustrating for you to go around nacking other people's work
when you really don't understand what it does.  You could trivially rebase
on my patch at any time and I could trivially rebase on yours, it's that
simple.  Your nack of saying you're going to rewrite how memcg handles
conditions when it reaches its limit is completely irrelevant to my
patchset, so I ask that if you're going to review a patch that you keep
irrelevant discussions out of it because it just makes things
unnecessarily confusing.

> And please avoid zone avoid locking. memcg requires memcg based locking.

Trying to set ZONE_OOM_LOCKED for all populated zones is fundamentally the
correct thing to do on VM_FAULT_OOM when you don't know the context in
which we're trying to allocate pages.  The _only_ thing that does is close
a race between when another thread calls out_of_memory(), which is likely
in such conditions, and the oom killer hasn't killed a task yet so we
can't detect the TIF_MEMDIE bit during the tasklist scan.  Memcg is
completely irrelevant with respect to this zone locking and that's why I
didn't touch mem_cgroup_out_of_memory().  Did you seriously even read this
patch?