Re: [patch 36/36] khugepaged

On 02/24/2010 05:52 PM, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

As sysctl that control defrag there is only one right now and it turns
defrag on and off. We could make it more finegrined and have two
files, one for the page faults in transparent_hugepage/defrag as
always|madvise|never, and one yes|no in
transparent_hugepage/khugepaged/defrag but that may be
overdesign... I'm not sure really when and how to invoke memory
compaction, so having that maximum amount of knobs really is only
requires if we can't came up with an optimal design.

The knobs may be useful for testing what the best
default behaviour would be, as well as for workloads
with special needs (eg. HPC vs. workloads with many
short lived small processes).

On systems with many CPU cores, it would also be
fairly easy to do some background memory compaction
on an idle CPU core, so we have huge pages available
for when processes need them...

There are a lot of unknowns here still, so we probably
need to stay flexible for a while to come.

The only thing we do know is that the hugepages can
really speed up some workloads.