Re: [patch] mm: suppress pfn range output for zones without pages

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, David Rientjes wrote:

> So you want to parse this table of zone pfn ranges to determine, for
> example, whether CONFIG_HIGHMEM was enabled for i386 kernels?  That
> doesn't tell you whether its CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G or CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G, so
> it's a pretty bad way to interpret the kernel config and decide whether

It tells me that there is highmem zone.

> the pfn ranges are valid or not.  The only other use case would be to find
> if the values are sane when we don't have CONFIG_ZONE_DMA or
> CONFIG_ZONE_DMA32, but those typically aren't even disabled: I just sent a
> patch to the x86 maintainers to get that configuration to compile on -rc7.

CONFIG_ZONE_DMA32 is disabled on 32 bit
CONFIG_ZONE_DMA may be disabled on IA64 or other platforms that do have
priviledged areas of memory.

Strange embedded kernel configs may sometimes play tricks with ZONE_DMA.

> In other words, I don't think we need to be emitting kernel diagnostic
> messages for zones that are empty and unused just because they are enabled
> in the kernel config; no developer is going to care about parsing the
> usecase I showed in the changelog since ZONE_NORMAL is always defined.

The kernel zone based arrays will still be dimensioned based on the
configured zones even if you omit those from the display. This influences
memory allocation.

I do not feel strongly about this since I can always look at the .config
files but you are removing information from the kernel log that I have
been using in the past.