Re: Removing architectures without upstream gcc support

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 5:02 PM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 04:45:06PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> There are also a couple of architectures that are more or less
>> unmaintained but do have working gcc support: FR-V and M32R
>> have been orphaned for a while and are not getting updated
>> MN10300 is still maintained officially by David Howells but doesn't
>> seem any more active than the other two, the last real updates were
>> in 2013.
>
> I'd love to see dead architecture ports dropped if they really are
> more or less abandoned.  In addition to your missing gcc port ones
> above (minus openrisc) it seems like frv and m32r certainly qualify,
> and xtensa seems to be going that way with the glibc port being dropped
> now.

Regarding xtensa, I looked at that one while I wrote my list and it seems
quite a bit more active than the others. Cris and xtensa are two architectures
that don't see much maintenance over long periods of time but occasionally
get a proper update. For xtensa this just happened, see [1]. Unlike cris,
xtensa is also commercially still very successful, just less so in the
Linux+glibc space.

       Arnd

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=d0bd31dc5c0b46b9c778112900cf8f910ac26e1b