Re: per-frame camera metadata (again)

Hi Hans,

On Thursday 24 December 2015 12:17:48 hverkuil wrote:

> >> And separate video nodes then.

> >> But wouldn't a single extended control with all metadata-transferred
> >> controls solve the performance issue?
> >
> > You would still have to update the value of the controls in the kernel
> > based on meta-data parsing, we've never measured the cost of such an
> > operation when the number of controls is large.
>
> Before discounting this option we need to measure the cost first. I suspect
> that if there are just a handful (let's say <= 10) of controls, then the
> cost is limited.

I certainly don't want to disregard the option before having tried it, my only
point is that we need to measure performances before making a decision. I plan
to do so but without an ETA at this point.

> > An interesting side issue is that the control framework currently doesn't
> > support updating controls from interrupt context as all controls are
> > protected by a mutex. The cost of locking, once it will be reworked, also
> > needs to be taken into account.
>
> I think the cost of locking can be limited (and I am not even sure if
> locking is needed if we restrict the type of control where this can be
> done). I have some ideas about that.

Well, we'll need to do something, and a lockless algorithm would certainly be
good :-)

> >> The advantage of this approach together with a separate video node /
> >> buffer queue is, that no changes to the core would be required.
> >>
> >> At the moment I think, that using (extended) controls would be the
> >> most "correct" way to implement that metadata, but you can associate such
> >> control values with frames only when the request API is there. Yet
> >> another caveat is, that we define V4L2_CTRL_ID2CLASS() as ((id) &
> >> 0x0fff0000UL) and V4L2_CID_PRIVATE_BASE as 0x08000000, so that drivers
> >> cannot define private controls to belong to existing classes. Was this
> >> intensional?
>
> PRIVATE_BASE is deprecated and cannot be used with the control framework
> (it was a very bad design). The control framework provides backwards compat
> code to handle old apps that still use PRIVATE_BASE.
>
> Control classes are not deprecated, only the use of the control_class
> field in struct v4l2_ext_controls to limit the controls in the list to a
> single control class is deprecated. That old limitation was from pre-
> control-framework times to simplify driver design. With the creation of the
> control framework that limitation is no longer needed.

Doesn't that effectively deprecated control classes ? We can certainly group
controls in categories for documentation purposes, but the control class as an
API concept is quite useless nowadays.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart