Re: per-frame camera metadata (again)

Hi Guennadi,

On Wednesday 23 December 2015 10:47:57 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2015, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> > Hans Verkuil wrote:

> >> Actually, the request framework can do both sides of the equation:
> >> giving back meta data in read-only controls that are per-frame. While
> >> ideally the driver would extract the information from the binary blob
> >> and put it in nice controls, it is also possible to make a control that
> >> just contains the binary blob itself. Whether that's a good approach
> >> depends on many factors and that's another topic.
> >
> > I think that could be possible in some cases. If you don't have a lot of
> > metadata, then, sure.

> >> This only makes sense if the data actually comes in via DMA and if it is
> >> large enough to make it worth the effort of implementing this. As you
> >> say, it will require figuring out how to do per-frame fourcc.
> >>
> >> It also only makes sense if the metadata comes in at the same time as
> >> the frame.
> >
> > I agree. Much of the time the metadata indeed arrives earlier than the
> > rest of the frame. The frame layout nor the use cases should be assumed
> > in the bridge (ISP) driver which implements the interface, essentially
> > forcing this on the user. This is a major drawback in the approach.
> >
> > Albeit. If you combine this with the need to pass buffer data to the user
> > before the entire buffer is ready, i.e. a plane is ready, you could get
> > around this quite neatly.
> >
> > However, if the DMA engine writing the metadata is different than what's
> > writing the image data to memory, then you have a plain metadata buffer
> > --- as it's a different video node. But there's really nothing special
> > about that then.
> >
> > Conceptually we should support multi-part frames rather than metadata,
> > albeit metadata is just a single use case where a single DMA engine
> > outputs multiple kind of data. This could be statistics as well. Or
> > multiple images, e.g. YUV and RAW format images of the same frame.
>
> If you stream different kinds of images (raw, yuv), then using multiple
> nodes is rather straight-forward, isn't it? Whereas for statistics and
> metadata, if we do that, do we assign new FOURCC codes for each new such
> data layout?
>
> > With CSI-2, as the virtual channels are independent, one could start and
> > stop them at different times and the frame rate in those channels could
> > as well be unrelated. This suggests that different virtual channels
> > should be conceptually separate streams also in V4L2 and thus the data
> > from different streams should not end up to the same buffer.
> >
> > Metadata usually (or practically ever?) does not arrive on a separate
> > virtual channel though. So this isn't something that necessarily is taken
> > into account right now but it's good to be aware of it.
>
> A camera can send image data and metadata on the same virtual channel, but
> then it should use different data types for them?

Conceptually a sensor could send meta-data as embedded data lines using the
same data type. I'm not sure whether that's done in practice.

> > Do you think you have different versions of metadata from a sensor, for
> > instance? Based on what I've seen these tend to be sensor specific, or
> > SMIA which defines a metadata type for each bit depth for compliant
> > sensors.
> >
> > Each metadata format should have a 4cc code, SMIA bit depth specific or
> > sensor specific where metadata is sensor specific.
> >
> > Other kind of metadata than what you get from sensors is not covered by
> > the thoughts above.
> >
> > <URL:http://www.retiisi.org.uk/v4l2/foil/v4l2-multi-format.pdf>
> >
> > I think I'd still favour separate buffer queues.
>
> And separate video nodes then.

> >> 3. Use the request framework and return the metadata as control(s).
> >> Since controls can be associated with events when they change you can
> >> subscribe to such events. Note: currently I haven't implemented such
> >> events for request controls since I am not certainly how it would be
> >> used, but this would be a good test case.
> >>
> >> Pros: (a) no need to extend multiplanar buffer implementation, (b)
> >> syncing up with the image frames should be easy (both use the same
> >> request ID), (c) a lot of freedom on how to export the metadata. Cons:
> >> (a) request framework is still work in progress (currently worked on by
> >> Laurent), (b) probably too slow for really large amounts of metadata,
> >> you'll need proper DMA handling for that in which case I would go for 2.
> >
> > Agreed. You could consider it as a drawback that the number of new
> > controls required for this could be large as well, but then already for
> > other reasons the best implementation would rather be the second option
> > mentioned.
>
> But wouldn't a single extended control with all metadata-transferred
> controls solve the performance issue?

You would still have to update the value of the controls in the kernel based
on meta-data parsing, we've never measured the cost of such an operation when
the number of controls is large. An interesting side issue is that the control
framework currently doesn't support updating controls from interrupt context
as all controls are protected by a mutex. The cost of locking, once it will be
reworked, also needs to be taken into account.

> > I think I'd use separate 4cc codes for the metadata formats when they
> > really are different. There are plenty of possible 4cc codes we can use.
> > :-)
> >
> > Documenting the formats might be painful though.
>
> The advantage of this approach together with a separate video node /
> buffer queue is, that no changes to the core would be required.
>
> At the moment I think, that using (extended) controls would be the most
> "correct" way to implement that metadata, but you can associate such
> control values with frames only when the request API is there. Yet another
> caveat is, that we define V4L2_CTRL_ID2CLASS() as ((id) & 0x0fff0000UL)
> and V4L2_CID_PRIVATE_BASE as 0x08000000, so that drivers cannot define
> private controls to belong to existing classes. Was this intensional?

Control classes are a deprecated concept, so I don't think this matters much.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart