Re: [RFC] [media] v4l2: add V4L2 pixel format array and helper functions

Hi Guennadi,

Am Dienstag, den 26.08.2014, 22:18 +0200 schrieb Guennadi Liakhovetski:
> Hi Philipp,
>
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Philipp Zabel wrote:
>
> > This patch adds an array of V4L2 pixel formats and descriptions that can be
> > used by drivers so that each driver doesn't have to provide its own slightly
> > different format descriptions for VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT.
>
> In case you missed it, soc-camera is doing something rather similar along
> the lines of:
>
> drivers/media/platform/soc_camera/soc_mediabus.c
> include/media/soc_mediabus.h
>
> Feel free to re-use.

thank you for the pointer. It is unfortunate that there is a bit of
overlap in the names, but not much in the rest of the information.
I don't see how the data could be reused in a meaningful way, but maybe
I should try to match the patterns.

I like the idea of soc_mbus_find_fmtdesc being called with a driver
specific lookup array. Although that currently causes drivers to again
duplicate all the names, it side-steps the issue of a linear lookup in a
large global array. Maybe a helper to fill this driver specific array
from the global array would be a good idea for consistency?

What is the reason for the separation between struct soc_mbus_lookup and
struct soc_mbus pixelformat (as opposed to including enum
v4l2_mbus_pixelcode in struct soc_mbus_pixelformat directly)?

regards
Philipp