Re: Time for v4l-utils 1.2 release?

Em Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:22:18 +0200
Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> On 06/21/2014 12:53 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Em Sat, 21 Jun 2014 08:07:57 +0200
> > Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> >> https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg76120.html
> >>
> >> Marked with ATTN as well!
> >
> > Well, from my side, feel free to drop those 3 utilities. If you drop v4lgrab,
> > you'll need to check the DocBook Makefile scripts, as it used to have some
> > automation to include it at the media DocBook.
> >
> > I think that this was removed in the past, but it doesn't hurt to
> > double-check.

> >> What does v4l2grab offer that v4l2-ctl doesn't? I would be much more inclined
> >> to remove v4l2grab.
> >
> > I never used v4l2-ctl for streaming (didn't even know/remember) that it was
> > capable of doing that ;)
>
> It was added about a year ago or something like that.
>
> > Looking at --help-streaming, though, one thing that it is not clear there
> > is what's the format of the output, when --stream-to= is used.
>
> Completely raw output.
>
> > Btw, I think that one big miss on v4l2-ctl is the lack of a man page witch
> > would have an EXAMPLES section explaining things like that.
>
> Absolutely. With a bit of luck I might have time for that fairly soon.
>
> > One of the advantages of v4l2grab is that it takes per-frame snapshots, instead
> > of writing a stream file. Those snapshots help to identify, for example, if
> > there are interlacing issues on a frame, or if some frames have some other
> > problems.
>
> You can dump just a single frame as well with v4l2-ctl (--stream-count=1).

It is not the same. What I do with v4l2grab is to ask it to capture
30 seconds, storing frame by frame. Then, I can see if each frame is
ok or not.

Btw, capturing just one frame with some webcams with auto bright will
likely just get a black frame.

> > Also, v4l2grab is a good example of how to use libv4l, and it is enclosed
> > at DocBook (not sure if we're using automation to allow including
> > the latest version of it):
> > 	http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/v4l2grab-example.html
>
> Isn't capture.c.xml much more useful as example code? I have to admit, I
> didn't know v4l2grab.c was used as an example.

I would prefer to remove capture.c, as it doesn't use libv4l. We do
want that newer applications would use libv4l.