Re: hdpvr troubles

On 06/11/2014 01:33 PM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 06/11/2014 09:43 PM, Scott Doty wrote:

>>> You can certainly try this patch:
>>>
>>> https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/23890/
>>>
>>> Nobody else reported audio problems other than the issue this patch tries
>>> to resolve. However, that problem most likely has been with hdpvr since
>>> the very beginning.
>>>
>>> There were some major changes made to the driver in 3.10, so that makes me
>>> suspect that something might have broken. Odd though that I didn't see any
>>> reports about that.
>>>
>>> Keith, Ryley, if you run v4l2-ctl -D, what is the version number that is
>>> reported?
>>>
>>> If it is >= 3.10, then can you test with vlc as well?
>> Just tried the patch with 3.14.5, and it didn't solve the problem.
>>
>> I'm not sure what's different about my system than other folks', unless
>> they aren't using the optical input?
>>
>> Indeed, it acts just like the driver isn't properly honoring
>> "default_audio_input=2".  (For S/PDIF).  Thinking that might be a clue,
>> I hooked up stereo through the RCA jacks.  With "default_audio_input=2",
>> I did hear some crackling sounds -- but nothing intelligible, and I'm
>> having a hard time reproducing that.  With "default_audio_input=0", I
>> get clear stereo sound from the RCA jacks.
> Ah, you never mentioned that you used the default_audio_input module option.
> I looked at that and that did indeed break in 3.10. You probably need to
> do 'v4l2-ctl -c audio_encoding=4'. In 3.9 selecting default_audio_input=2
> would also switch to AC3 audio encoding, but in 3.10 that is reset a bit
> later to AAC.
>
> But by selecting it manually it should work again. Let me know if I am
> correct and if so, then I'll make a patch for this to fix this behavior.

Hello,

Unfortunately, using the v4l2-ctl command doesn't seem to make any
difference.  I do know it's taking effect because when I set it to "3",
the video pauses a bit then resumes, which I assume is your recent patch
resetting the stream; and when I reset it to "4", I get the pause/resume
again, but still no audio.

Setting it to 4 before running vlc doesn't seem to help, either, alas.

Maybe we need to set the pvr to do "passthrough" of its AC3 when running
on newer kernels?

 -Scott