Re: Some questions timeout in rc_dev

Em Tue, 18 Feb 2014 14:02:37 +0000
Sean Young <sean@xxxxxxxx> escreveu:

> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:54:01PM +0100, Rune Petersen wrote:
> > The intent of the timeout member in the rc_dev struct is a little unclear to me.
> > In rc-core.h it is described as:
> > 	@timeout: optional time after which device stops sending data.
> >
> > But if I look at the usage, it is used to detect idle in ir_raw.c
> > which again is used by the RC-6 decoder to detect end of RC-6 6A
> > transmissions.
> >
> > This leaves me with a few questions:
> >  - Without the timeout (which is optional) the RC-6 decoder will not work
> >    properly with RC-6 6A transmissions wouldn't that make it required?
>
> That sounds like a bug to me. The decoders shouldn't rely on the length
> of trailing space, probably it would be best to not rely on receiving the
> trailing space if possible.

The trailing space is needed, because of some weird variants. For example,
there are some RC5-like protocols that have less bits. See for example the
15-bits variant at drivers/media/rc/ir-rc5-sz-decoder.

So, as a general rule, we're always waiting for a trailing space, to be sure
that the protocol matches.
--

Cheers,
Mauro