Re: [media-workshop] V2: Agenda for the Edinburgh mini-summit

On Thu, 2013-10-17 at 08:36 +0900, Milo Kim wrote:

> > That's current solution, we plan to unify this two API since those
> > chip are basically LED.
> >
> >> On the other hands, LM3642 has an indicator mode with flash/torch.
> >> Then, it will consist of 3 parts - MFD core, LED(indicator) and
> >> V4L2(flash/torch).
> >>

> > So if one LED device driver can support that, we don't need these 3 parts.
>
> Let me clarify our discussion briefly.
>
> For the flash and torch, there are scattered user-space APIs.
> We need to unify them.

Sorry for the late input.

There are also subject matter illuminators (is that the same as torch?).
They may be LED or halogen incadescent bulbs that are integral to a
device such as the QX5 microscope:

http://git.linuxtv.org/media_tree.git/blob/HEAD:/drivers/media/usb/cpia2/cpia2_v4l.c#l1152

The V4L2 user controls ioctl()'s are used to control those two lamps
currently.  Their activation seemed like a switch the user would want to
turn easily, via a GUI that contained other V4L2 device controls.

Do these fit in anywhere into the unification?  Not that I'm advocating
that. I just thought cases like this shouldn't be overlooked in deciding
what to do.

Regards,
Andy