Re: [media-workshop] V2: Agenda for the Edinburgh mini-summit

Hi Oliver,

On Monday 23 September 2013 18:37:48 Oliver Schinagl wrote:
> On 09/23/13 16:45, Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to have a short discussion on LED flash devices support
> > in the kernel. Currently there are two APIs: the V4L2 and LED class
> > API exposed by the kernel, which I believe is not good from user space
> > POV. Generic applications will need to implement both APIs. I think we
> > should decide whether to extend the led class API to add support for
> > more advanced LED controllers there or continue to use the both APIs
> > with overlapping functionality.
> > There has been some discussion about this on the ML, but without any
> > consensus reached [1].
>
> What about the linux-pwm framework and its support for the backlight via
> dts?
>
> Or am I talking way to uninformed here. Copying backlight to flashlight
> with some minor modification sounds sensible in a way...

Flash has more advanced requirements, such as internal/external trigger
support, hardware timings control, overheat prevention, ... Furthermore, a
flash API should not be limited to LEDs, as Xeon flashes are common and
similar enough to be supported by the same API.

I would like to see the two APIs merged in a way, at least for flash devices.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart