Re: RFC> multi-crop (was: Multiple Rectangle cropping)

On 09/05/2013 11:10 PM, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:
Hello

Hi,

  I am working porting a industrial camera driver to v4l. So far I have
been able to describe most of the old functionality with v4l
equivalents. The only thing that I am missing is multi cropping.

The sensor (both a cmosis and a ccd chips) supports skipping lines
from up to 8 regions. This increases the readout speed up to 50%,
which is critical for the application.

Unfortunately I have no way to describe multiple cropping areas in
v4l. I am thinking about creating a new API/extending and old one for
this.

Any suggestion before I start? Have you faced also this problem? How
did you solve it?

A similar issue has been raised during discussions on the camera auto
focus rectangle selection API. While defining need selection targets [1]
it was also proposed to convert one of the struct v4l2_selection reserved
fields into an index field, which would indicate one rectangle of some
set of rectangles supported by a driver. Then there could be a v4l2
bitmask control to determine which rectangles are currently valid/in use.

Would something like this be relevant to your problem ?

I am planning to go to the Edinburgh mini summit, maybe we could add
this to the agenda (if you consider that it is worth the time, of
course)

It definitely sounds like a good topic to discuss at the mini summit,
unless it gets resolved until then. ;-)

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg64499.html

--
Regards,