Re: [media-workshop] Agenda for the Edinburgh mini-summit

Hi Guennadi,

On Saturday 31 August 2013 20:38:54 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Aug 2013, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > On 08/30/2013 03:01 PM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > > OK, I know, we don't even know yet when the mini-summit will be held but
> > > I thought I'd just start this thread to collect input for the agenda.
> > >
> > > I have these topics (and I *know* that I am forgetting a few):

[snip]

> > > Feel free to add suggestions to this list.
> >
> > I got another one:
> >
> > VIDIOC_TRY_FMT shouldn't return -EINVAL when an unsupported pixelformat is
> > provided, but in practice video capture board tend to do that, while
> > webcam drivers tend to map it silently to a valid pixelformat. Some
> > applications rely on the -EINVAL error code.
> >
> > We need to decide how to adjust the spec. I propose to just say that some
> > drivers will map it silently and others will return -EINVAL and that you
> > don't know what a driver will do. Also specify that an unsupported
> > pixelformat is the only reason why TRY_FMT might return -EINVAL.
> >
> > Alternatively we might want to specify explicitly that EINVAL should be
> > returned for video capture devices (i.e. devices supporting S_STD or
> > S_DV_TIMINGS) and 0 for all others.
>
> Just to make sure I understand right - that kind of excludes cameras,
> right? Still, even for (other) video capture devices, like TV decoders, is
> there a real serious enough reason to _change_ the specs, which says
>
> http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/vidioc-g-fmt.html
>
> EINVAL
>
>     The struct v4l2_format type field is invalid or the requested buffer
> type not supported.

I think Hans meant unsupported fmt.pix.pixelformat (or the equivalent for
multiplane) values. For instance the uvcvideo driver will return a default
fourcc if an application tries an unsupported fourcc, some other drivers
return -EINVAL.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart