Re: [media-workshop] Agenda for the Edinburgh mini-summit

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> On 08/30/2013 03:01 PM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > OK, I know, we don't even know yet when the mini-summit will be held but I thought
> > I'd just start this thread to collect input for the agenda.
> >
> > I have these topics (and I *know* that I am forgetting a few):
> >
> > - Discuss ideas/use-cases for a property-based API. An initial discussion
> >   appeared in this thread:
> >
> >   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/65195
> >
> > - What is needed to share i2c video transmitters between drm and v4l? Hopefully
> >   we will know more after the upcoming LPC.
> >
> > - Decide on how v4l2 support libraries should be organized. There is code for
> >   handling raw-to-sliced VBI decoding, ALSA looping, finding associated
> >   video/alsa nodes and for TV frequency tables. We should decide how that should
> >   be organized into libraries and how they should be documented. The first two
> >   aren't libraries at the moment, but I think they should be. The last two are
> >   libraries but they aren't installed. Some work is also being done on an improved
> >   version of the 'associating nodes' library that uses the MC if available.
> >
> > - Define the interaction between selection API, ENUM_FRAMESIZES and S_FMT. See
> >   this thread for all the nasty details:
> >
> >   http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg65137.html
> >
> > Feel free to add suggestions to this list.
>
> I got another one:
>
> VIDIOC_TRY_FMT shouldn't return -EINVAL when an unsupported pixelformat is provided,
> but in practice video capture board tend to do that, while webcam drivers tend to map
> it silently to a valid pixelformat. Some applications rely on the -EINVAL error code.
>
> We need to decide how to adjust the spec. I propose to just say that some drivers
> will map it silently and others will return -EINVAL and that you don't know what a
> driver will do. Also specify that an unsupported pixelformat is the only reason why
> TRY_FMT might return -EINVAL.
>
> Alternatively we might want to specify explicitly that EINVAL should be returned for
> video capture devices (i.e. devices supporting S_STD or S_DV_TIMINGS) and 0 for all
> others.

Just to make sure I understand right - that kind of excludes cameras,
right? Still, even for (other) video capture devices, like TV decoders, is
there a real serious enough reason to _change_ the specs, which says

http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/vidioc-g-fmt.html

EINVAL

    The struct v4l2_format type field is invalid or the requested buffer
type not supported.

If we have a spec, that says A, and some drivers drivers do A, but others
do B, and we want to change the specs to B? Instead of either changing the
(wrong) drivers to A (yes, some applications expect that wrong behaviour)
or at least extending the spec to allow both A and B?

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.