Re: em28xx + ov2640 and v4l2-clk

Hi Mauro,

On Monday 26 August 2013 11:09:33 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@xxxxxx> escreveu:
> > On Sat, 24 Aug 2013, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > Thanks, it was nice indeed :)

> > Don't think it is, "[media] soc-camera: switch I2C subdevice drivers to
> > use v4l2-clk" only appeared in v3.11-rc1.

> > > The interface was written to mimic what OF does with clock.
> > >
> > > Yeah, I agree that this sucks for non OF drivers.

> > > Probably because they weren't converted yet to the new way.

> > Ok, let's try to summerise:
> >
> > * background: many camera sensors do not react to I2C commands as long as
> > no master clock is supplied. Therefore for _those_ sensors making a clock
> > availability seems logical to me. And since it's the sensor driver, that
> > knows what that clock is used for, when it is needed and - eventually -
> > what rate is required - it's the sensor driver, that should manipulate it.
> > Example: some camera sensor drivers write sensor configuration directly to
> > the hardware in each ioctl() possibly without storing the state
> > internally. Such drivers will need a clock running all the time to keep
> > register values. Other drivers might only store configuration internally
> > and only send it to the hardware when streaming is enabled. Those drivers
> > can keep the clock disabled until that time then.
> >
> > * problem: em28xx USB camera driver uses the ov2640 camera sensor driver
> > and doesn't supply a clock. But ov2640 sensors do need a clock, so, we
> > have to assume it is supplied internally in the camera. Presumably, it is
> > always on and its rate cannot be adjusted either.
>
> Guennadi,
>
> I don't have the schematics of those cameras, but I suspect that the
> clock for the sensor is hardwired, e. g. probably em28xx can't enable
> or disable it. This is the usual solution on non-embedded hardware.

Possibly. Or the em28xx controls the clock transparently. We will probably
never know, and it doesn't matter much at the end of the day. We know that the
clock is on whenever we access the sensor, so we can consider that clock as an
always-on clock for all practical matters.

> That's why, IMHO, putting anything at the USB bridge driver (em28xx) makes
> no sense: the bridge doesn't have any control over the clock.

That's where I don't agree. Here we need to think about the bridge as the
combination of the bridge chip and the board on which it's soldered, as the
board itself isn't modelled separately.

Even if the bridge doesn't control the clock, it provides a clock to the
sensor. As such, it's the responsibility of the bridge driver to provide the
clock to the sensor driver. The sensor driver knows that the sensor needs a
clock, and must thus get a clock object from somewhere.

This is a fundamental principle of the Linux clock framework and regulator
framework. For fixed-frequency always-on clocks, as well as for fixed-voltage
always-on regulators, the clock and/or regulator provider just needs to
register a fixed clock or regulator, which is very easy to do.

The v4l2-clock API has been designed to mimic the clock API to ease the
transition to the clock API at a later time (the v4l2-clock API is meant to be
temporary only). It doesn't offer all the helper functions available in the
clock API and should thus be improved, as Guennadi pointed out.

> > * possible fixes: several fixes have been proposed, e.g.
> > (a) implement a V4L2 clock in em28xx.
> >
> >     Pro: logically correct - a clock is indeed present, local - no core
> > 	changes are needed
> >     Contra: presumably relatively many devices will have such static
> >
> > 	always-on clocks. Implementing them in each of those drivers will
> > 	add copied code. Besides creating a clock name from I2C bus and
> > 	device numbers is ugly (a helper is needed).
> >
> > (b) make clocks optional in all subdevice drivers
> >
> >     Pro: host / bridge drivers or core don't have to be modified
> >     Contra: wrong in principle - those clocks are indeed compulsory
>
> I don't think that (b) is wrong: it is not a matter or clocks being
> compulsory or not. It is a matter of being able to be controlled or not.

No, it's a matter of providing a clock to a chip that needs one. If the chip
needs a clock, it must get one. Whether the clock can be controlled or not is
not relevant. Otherwise all clock users would need to implement several code
paths depending on whether the clock is controllable or not. That's something
we wanted to avoid, as it would result in code bloat. We've instead pushed all
that common code to the core, with a requirement for clock providers to
register a clock, even if it can't be controlled.

> If the clock can't be controlled via software, there's no sense on adding
> control stuff for it: it will just add extra code for no good reason.
>
> > (c) add a global flag to indicate, that the use of clocks on this device
> >
> >     is optional
> >     Pro: easy to support in drivers
> >     Contra: as in (b) above
> >
> > (d) a variant of (a), but with a helper function in V4L2 clock core to
> >
> >     implement such a static always-on clock
> >     Pro: simple to support in host / bridge drivers
> >     Contra: adds bloat to V4L2 clock helper layer, which we want to keep
> >
> > 	small and remove eventually.
> >
> > Have I missed anything? Of the above I would go with (d). I could try to
> > code the required always-on clock helpers.
>
> I prefer to have some solution that won't add any extra code if the clock is
> always on and can't be controlled.

But that's not how the common clock framework works. Sure, we could implement
that right now in the v4l2-clock API, but we will need to register a fixed-
clock in the em28xx driver when moving to the clock API anyway. Let's not make
the transition more complex than it should be.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart