Re: Terratec Grabby hwrev 2

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 17:33:07 +0200
Frank Schäfer <fschaefer.oss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 03.04.2013 10:27, schrieb Timo Teras:
> > I did not test VBI, so I'm unsure if it works or not.
>
> The em2860 supports VBI, so VBI mode is used.
> You can force the normal mode with module parameter disable_vbi=1

Right. Tested that now.

> Except the green line at the bottom which I'm seeing, too.
> Try the module parameter disable_vbi=1 and the
> distortion/artifacts/offset should change a bit.
> I wouldn't wonder if we encounter multiple issues here which are
> interfering with each other... :(

The green line goes away with disable_vbi=1. However, I will then see
the top first line having some "morse code like" garbage on it.

So yes, sounds like R1D_VSTART setting needs fixing.

> > When comparing these two picture, you see that the frame is offset
> > with one or two pixels in x-direction. Perhaps this is a byte
> > offset, and in RGB format causes color values to be connected to
> > wrong pixel.
> >
> > As final note, now I hooked the device on faster machine, and the
> > AC97 detection seems random. It seemed to work with the slower
> > machine reliably after I had it do the saa7113 initialization. So
> > sounds like some sort of timing issue.
>
> More details please. ;)
> Do you mean that "Config register raw data" (see dmesg output) value
> varies ?

I traced the USB init sequence that windows does. It is as follows
(simplified by removing some other register / eeprom reads):
	em28xx_write_reg(dev, EM28XX_R08_GPIO, 0xff);
	msleep(20);
	em28xx_write_reg(dev, EM28XX_R08_GPIO, 0xfd);
	msleep(100);
	em28xx_write_reg(dev, EM28XX_R08_GPIO, 0x7d);
	msleep(60);
	em28xx_write_reg(dev, EM28XX_R12_VINENABLE, 0x24);
	em28xx_write_reg(dev, 0x0d, 0x42);

Will test if it makes the detection of the audio chip more reliable.

- Timo