Re: Terratec Grabby hwrev 2

Em Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:35:56 +0200
Timo Teras <timo.teras@xxxxxx> escreveu:

> On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:40:52 -0300
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Em Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:52:01 +0200
> > Timo Teras <timo.teras@xxxxxx> escreveu:

> > > Well, I just made saa7115.c ignore this ID check, and defeault to
> > > saa7113 which is apparently the chip used.
> > >
> > > And now it looks like things start to work a lot better.
> > >
> > > Weird that the saa7113 chip is missing the ID string. Will continue
> > > testing.
> >
> > That could happen if saa7113 is behind some I2C bridge and when
> > saa7113 is not found when the detection code is called.
>
> Smells to me that they replaced the saa7113 with cheaper clone that
> does not support the ID string.

Well, I suspect that you'll need to open the box and see what's there.

Are you sure that you've initiated the needed GPIO settings before
start writing data to it?

> Sounds like the same issue as:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg57926.html
>
> Additionally noted that something is not initialized right:
>
> With PAL signal:
> - there's some junk pixel in beginning of each line (looks like pixes
>   from previous lines end), sync issue?
> - some junk lines at the end
> - distorted colors when white and black change between pixels
>
> With NTSC signal:
> - unable to get a lock, and the whole picture looks garbled

The driver supports several chipset variants, by reading the ID
data from it. If the autodetection code didn't work, it may be
sending commands to the wrong variation.

Also, if this is a clone, it may require some different setups
for it to work, either at saa711x driver or less likely at em28xx.

> On the W7 driver, I don't get any of the above mentioned problems.
>
> I looked at the saa7113 register init sequence, and copied that over to
> linux saa7113 init, but that did not remove the problems. There were
> only few changes.

So, maybe it does a different crop setup at em28xx.

--

Cheers,
Mauro