v4l2-ctl-streaming: ideas for improvements

Hi all,

Just in case someone has time to work on this: I thought I'd write down some
of the ideas I have to improve the streaming code in v4l2-ctl:

1) Add an option to select between limited and full range colors.

2) Add more test patterns:
	- solid colors: black, white, red, green, blue, cyan, yellow, magenta.
	- grey 'color' bar
	- grey ramp
	- a pattern containing SAV and EAV codes in each plane (perhaps this
	  should be a separate option, 'overlaying' those codes): this is a very
	  nasty test case that can be used to test proper handling of such codes
	  in an image.
	- moving patterns
	- horizontal colorbars
	- thin lines: horizontal, vertical, both.
	- random contents

3) For the capture side add pattern validation: check that the contents you
   captured matches the given pattern. Very useful for testing.

4) Add support for capturing/displaying frames with different sizes (e.g.
   compressed streams). Currently the output just appends all planes/frames
   together without writing the plane/frame sizes anywhere. The input assumes
   fixed sized planes/frames. We probably need to add a meta file that contains
   the 'bytesused' values. Perhaps that file should also contain format
   information that can be used later.

5) Add some support to give keyboard commands when streaming. E.g. 'q' to stop
   streaming gracefully (and so also ensure that all the data is written to file,
   something that doesn't happen with ctrl-c).

   Other commands for the future are encoder/decoder commands such as speeding up
   or down.

6) MPEG encoders can generate an index file (VIDIOC_G_ENC_INDEX). Add an option to
   generate that and to use it when decoding. I actually have some old test
   application that does just that, and that also has encoder/decoder command
   support (see item 5 above): http://ivtvdriver.org/svn/ivtvtv

7) Add VBI streaming support. Split off the VBI code from qv4l2 into a library
   and use that in v4l2-ctl to slice the raw VBI and to interpret the data. That
   should replace the vbi-test.c, sliced-vbi-detect.c and sliced-vbi-test.c
   utilities in contrib.

Regards,

	Hans