Re: af9035 test needed!

(history chopped cuz it got messy)

quoting Antti with my responses inline.

<<
I agree that it should be split multiple patches.

KRUFKY:  YES.

1) soft reset should be moved to attach() (it could not be on init()
nor set_parameters() as it stops clock out and loop-through in few ms
or so causing slave tuner errors)

KRUFKY: NO.  This is not the solution.  If there is a bug in the
driver, then we fix the bug.  Moving the soft reset to a one time only
call during attach can cause worse problems.  If you feel strongly
about this, then submit it in a separate patch and we can work on that
issue separately.  The soft reset needs to be done each time the tuner
is programmed for good reason - if we are screwing up some registers,
then it means that there is a bug - lets fix the bug.

2) clock out and loop-through must be set on attach() and not touch after that

KRUFKY: NO.  attach() is called once, ever.   I admit that the current
code may be buggy but doing this would cause unpredicable behavior
after low-power states...  If this needs to be fixed then it needs to
be fixed in a thorough way, not by moving the code away into the
attach function where it will only be called once.  Clearly this issue
is directly related to issue number 1, so I understand if these two
items might be the focus of future discussion :-/

3) no_probe option should not be added unless it is really needed. If
chip ID reading fails with some I/O error then there is two
possibilities a) block reads like now b) add glue to AF9035 brain-dead
I2C adapter to handle / fake such case

KRUFKY:  I agree -- this may be required in order to work around some
questionable hardware implementations.  If the problem is really in
the i2c adapter, then the hack belongs there, not in the tuner driver.

4) loop_thru_enable to 3 bit wide should not be done unless really
needed. What happens if it is left as it is?

KRUFKY: Agreed.  We don't make a change just because you saw something
in 'the windows driver'  As per the current Linux driver, the loop
thru setting is 1 bit wide.  If this is wrong, please provide a better
explanation of those bits.

These are the four logical changes that should be sent as own patch.
Jose, we are waiting for you :)

-Mike