Re: partial revert of "uvcvideo: set error_idx properly"

On Fri January 25 2013 14:40:45 Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01/25/2013 11:40 AM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> What I did notice is that pwc_vidioc_try_fmt returns EINVAL when
> >> an unsupported pixelformat is requested. IIRC we agreed that the
> >> correct behavior in this case is to instead just change the
> >> pixelformat to a default format, so I'll write a patch fixing
> >> this.
> >
> > There are issues with that idea in the case of TV capture cards, since
> > some important apps (tvtime and mythtv to a lesser extent) assume -EINVAL
> > in the case of unsupported pixelformats.
>
> Oh, I thought we agreed on never returning EINVAL accept for on invalid
> buffer types in Barcelona ?

We did, but then it was discovered that apps like tvtime *rely* on such an
error code.

All TV capture drivers that do stream I/O return EINVAL for unsupported
formats today. There are exceptions (cx18/ivtv/pvrusb2 (?)), but those
have a read() API only.

Very annoying...

Regards,

	Hans