Re: HD-PVR fails consistently on Linux, works on Windows

On 09/26/12 21:42, Keith Pyle wrote:
I recently purchased a Hauppauge HD-PVR (the 1212 version, label on bottom 49001LF, Rev F2). I have consistent capture failures on Linux where data from the device simply stops, generally within a few minutes of starting a capture. Yet, the device works flawlessly on Windows with the same USB and component cables, same power supply, and same physical position. This suggests that the device itself has acceptable power, is not overheating, etc. I'll detail below the testing I've done thus far and would appreciate any suggestions on how to further test or address the problem.

The good news is that I have a highly reproducible failure on Linux, but then that's the bad news too.

Thanks.

Keith

-- Linux tests --
I started trying to use the HD-PVR directly with my MythTV backend. I have subsequently switched all of my testing to simple direct captures from the /dev/video? device using /bin/cat to eliminate as many variables as possible.

I've done a large number of tests with combinations of the following:

OS: gentoo 3.4.7, gentoo 3.5.4
HD-PVR firmware: 1.5.7.0 (0x15), 1.7.1.30059 (0x1e)
Input resolution: fixed to 720p, fixed to 1080i, floating based on input
USB ports: motherboard ports on Intel DP45SG, motherboard ports on MSI X58 Pro-E, ports on SIIG USB PCIe card

Captures fail consistently.
Here's some interesting new information. On noticing that the 3.6 kernel included several USB related commits, I updated the kernel of my test system (MSI X58 Pro-E) from 3.5.4 to 3.6.2. I ran a series of capture tests with firmware 0x1e and all other variables exactly as before - same USB cable, port, physical position, etc. I have 20 successful 1-hour captures and 1 failure. There are no logged messages for the failed capture but the timing coincides within a minute after initializing a wireless joystick on a different USB bus. I've been unable to reproduce this failure, so I cannot conclusively state that there is a correlation.

The results of the kernel change are dramatic. Under 3.5.x and earlier, the failure rate for 1-hour captures was 100%. Most failed in less than 10 minutes. There were some instances of hard hangs on the HD-PVR (i.e., power cycle required). With 3.6.2, it is less than 5% failure. The one failure was a truncated recording.

I am continuing capture tests on my test system to build more data. I will next be updating my MythTV backend to 3.6 and trying the capture tests on it since it has a different motherboard.

It would be quite interesting if others with HD-PVR problems see similar results for 3.6.2 or better.

Keith