Re: HD-PVR fails consistently on Linux, works on Windows

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 20:17:59 +0100
David Röthlisberger <david@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 21:42:32 -0500
> Keith Pyle <kpyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I recently purchased a Hauppauge HD-PVR (the 1212 version, label on
> > bottom 49001LF, Rev F2).  I have consistent capture failures on Linux
> > where data from the device simply stops, generally within a few minutes
> > of starting a capture.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Sep 21 17:01:01 mythbe kernel: [535043.703947] hdpvr 9-1:1.0: firmware
> > version 0x15 dated Jun 17 2010 09:26:53
>
> When we contacted Hauppauge regarding the stability issue, they
> recommended upgrading to the latest firmware dated Mar 26 2012.
> We *think* this has improved stability, but it certainly hasn't
> fixed it completely.
>
> Upgrading the firmware requires a Windows PC -- see
> http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hdpvr.html
>

> On 13 Oct 2012, at 16:28, Jonathan wrote:
>
> > It may be a coincidence but I since I started using irqbalance (
> > https://code.google.com/p/irqbalance/ ) my HD-PVR has been completely
> > stable. Before that I was experiencing daily lockups.
>
> Interesting. You definitely didn't upgrade the firmware around the same
> time?
>
> We think the stability is worse when the Linux PC is heavily loaded: We
> do real-time image processing on the video stream from the HD PVR, so
> the CPUs are maxed out, and we get frequent lock-ups. We also think the
> lock-ups are more frequent when we have several HD PVRs connected to the
> same PC, all running at the same time. I'll have to try this irqbalance.
>
> --Dave.

No change in my firmware; still on version 0x15. FWIW, after using irqblance for about 10 days, cat /proc/interrupts shows the interrupt for xhci_hcd (the USB3 bus my HD-PVR is attached to) is now spread across all 4 cores whereas before it was loaded up on CPU0.  Same thing was shown for  ahci,  and a lot of data is being written to disk when the HD-PVR is working so I guess that could be a factor as well.

Jonathan