Re: [GIT PULL FOR 3.7] Samsung Exynos MFC driver update

Hi Arun,

On 10/03/2012 07:38 AM, Arun Kumar K wrote:
>> Indeed it looks like big blob patch. I think this reflects how these patches
>> were created, were one person creates practically new driver for new device
>> revision, with not much care about the old one, and then somebody else is
>> trying to make it a step by step process and ensuring support for all H/W
>> revisions is properly maintained.
>>
>> Anyway, Arun, can you please rebase your patch series onto latest linuxtv
>> for_v3.7 branch and try to split this above patch. AFAICS there are following
>> things done there that could be separated:
>>
>> 1. Move contents of file s5p_mfc_opr.c to new file s5p_mfc_opr_v5.c
>> 2. Rename functions in s5p_mfc_opr_v5.c
>> 3. Use s5p_mfc_hw_call for H/W specific function calls
>> 4. Do S5P_FIMV/S5P_MFC whatever magic.
>
> I couldnt go with more finer splits, as I wanted to keep a working driver
> between all successive patches. Now I will try to make the splits as
> suggested and see if it can still be done.
>
>> Also I've noticed some patches do break compilation. There are some definitions
>> used there which are added only in subsequent patches. Arun, can you please make
>> sure there is no build break after each single patch is applied ?
>
> I have checked this while applying and I didnt see any break in
> compilation after each patch is applied. I ensured not only compilation
> but also a working driver after applying each patch. I will ensure
> this again on the next rebase.

Sorry, I wrongly concluded from looking at the diffs only. Preserving
working driver is a good thing, but it is not really required AFAICT. Still
it would be nice split the patch as above keeping the v5 driver working.
Probably splitting it in 3 is enough. It is worthwhile as long as it makes
the total diffs smaller (e.g. file renames don't need to be a huge diff with
git rename detection enabled). I understand you've got now an additional
work due to conflict with Andrzej's patches. All pending s5p-mfc patches
seems to be in Mauro's tree for_v3.7 and nothing should get in before your
patches now.

> I will make these suggested changes and post an updated patchset today.

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Sylwester