Re: [GIT PULL FOR v3.7] all the rest patches!

Em Mon, 01 Oct 2012 22:38:07 +0300
Antti Palosaari <crope@xxxxxx> escreveu:

> On 10/01/2012 10:32 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > Em Sat, 29 Sep 2012 21:41:41 +0300
> > Antti Palosaari <crope@xxxxxx> escreveu:
> >
> >> Updated, one new USB ID for RTL2832U.
> >>
> >> The following changes since commit 8928b6d1568eb9104cc9e2e6627d7086437b2fb3:
> >>
> >>     [media] media: mx2_camera: use managed functions to clean up code
> >> (2012-09-27 15:56:47 -0300)
> >>
> >> are available in the git repository at:
> >>
> >>     git://linuxtv.org/anttip/media_tree.git for_v3.7_mauro-3
> >>
> >> for you to fetch changes up to bf342b50ac6c5801a95d6a089086587446c8d6cf:
> >>
> >>     rtl28xxu: [0ccd:00d3] TerraTec Cinergy T Stick RC (Rev. 3)
> >> (2012-09-29 21:39:26 +0300)

> >> Antti Palosaari (5):
> >>         em28xx: implement FE set_lna() callback
> >>         cxd2820r: use static GPIO config when GPIOLIB is undefined
> >>         em28xx: do not set PCTV 290e LNA handler if fe attach fail
> >>         em28xx: PCTV 520e workaround for DRX-K fw loading
> >
> > All applied except for the above.
> >
> > As I said before: sleeping for 2 seconds doesn't give any warranty that
> > the firmware got loaded (and I know one system where firmware load generally
> > takes more than 2 seconds to start - probably because the root fs is using
> > nfs, and the machine uses an Atom single core processor).
> >
> > As I've explained, if the driver needs to wait for a firmware load, it
> > should use something that will actually wait for firmware load to complete,
> > instead of just sleeping in the hope that the amount of sleeping time would
> > be enough.
>
> Yes I certainly know. My aim was to provide working driver around 99% of
> users even it is not correct. I don't understand why you all the time
> reject this kind of workarounds leaving devices 100% non-working state.

Because:

1) this is a hack;

2) there's absolutely no warranties that it will fix the issue[1];

3) the real fix is not complex; I've pointed you what should be changed in
order to use a wait queue, that will wait for the firmware load to complete[2].

[1] the system I'm aware of where this hack won't work is a reference kit
from a major CPU vendor, to be used on media centers. It doesn't sound
a corner case for me.

[2] if you don't agree with my proposal, you're free, of course, to come
with some other alternative, like:
	- adding some callback to report when a firmware load task is
	  completed;
	- defer the tuner attach work to happen after firmware load.

Adding a code there that we know it will cause us future headaches because
it is broken by design doesn't sound nice.

> And as it is the device what I am mostly responsible, I will get all the
> angry feedback from the unhappy users as their device does not work
> anymore after the Kernel upgrade.

If you don't have time to work on that, I can try to help you after the
end of the merge window.

Regards,
Mauro