Re: Terratec Cinergy T PCIe Dual doesn;t work nder the Xen hypervisor

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Javier Marcet <jmarcet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can't say how happy I am that you were wrong in your guess. Quoting
> Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk:

Well, you haven't proven me wrong yet.  :-)

> """
> The issue as I understand is that the DVB drivers allocate their
> buffers from 0->4GB most (all the time?) so they never have to do
> bounce-buffering.
>
> While the pv-ops one ends up quite frequently doing the
> bounce-buffering, which implies that the DVB drivers end up allocating
> their buffers above the 4GB.
> This means we end up spending some CPU time (in the guest) copying the
> memory from >4GB to 0-4GB region (And vice-versa).
> """
>
> You can see the original thread where this was found, together with a
> working patch, here:
>
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-01/msg01927.html

As far as I can read, the patch has never been confirmed to work.  The
user mentioned upgrading to an updated kernel and seeing a slight
decrease in load:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-01/msg02166.html

Further, the reason many of the drivers in question require the memory
to be in the 0-4GB memory region is due to some hardware not being
able to DMA to memory > 4GB.  Such a change would have to be tested
with every board that does scatter/gather, and the framework would
likely have to change to explicitly allow the board driver to specify
whether it supports memory > 4GB.

In short, this is a useful bit of information, but not clear whether
it would actually solve the underlying problem.

Again, I would be happy to be proven wrong, but there appears to still
be quite a bit of work required for such.  I would suggest trying the
patch yourself to see if it has any visible effect on the problem.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com