Re: Terratec Cinergy T PCIe Dual doesn;t work nder the Xen hypervisor

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 5:40 AM, Devin Heitmueller
<dheitmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Initially I thought Xen would be the cause of the problem, but after
>> having written on
>> the Xen development mailing list and talked about it with a couple
>> developers, it isn't
>> very clear where the problem is. So far I haven't been able to get the
>> smallest warning
>> or error.
>
> This is a very common problem when attempting to use any PCI/PCIe
> tuner under a hypervisor.  Essentially the issue is all of the
> virtualization solutions provide very poor interrupt latency, which
> results in the data being lost.
>
> Devices delivering a high bitrate stream of data in realtime are much
> more likely for this problem to be visible since such devices have
> very little buffering (it's not like a hard drive controller where it
> can just deliver the data slower).  The problem is not specific to the
> cx23885 - pretty much all of the PCI/PCIe bridges used in tuner cards
> work this way, and they cannot really be blamed for expecting to run
> in an environment with really crappy interrupt latency.
>
> I won't go as far as to say, "abandon all hope", but you're not really
> likely to find any help in this forum.

Well, it is not what I wanted to hear but at least I know for sure what is
happening.

I´ve post your words on the xen ml, I´ll see what they have to say.
I still don´t understand how graphics pass through works and a tuner
card has problems. I also have read reports of people running vdr on
a domU.

Anyway, thanks for the prompt and quick answer.

--
Javier Marcet <jmarcet@xxxxxxxxx>