Re: Philips saa7134 IR remote problem with linux kernel v2.6.35

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:41:23PM +0600, Partha Guha Roy wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Sean Young <sean@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Are you runnning the lircd user space process for input or relying on
> > the in-kernel decoders?
>
> For my testing, I booted the vanilla kernel into ubuntu recovery mode
> and just pressed a few keys on the remote. No lircd process was
> running at that point. So, I am guessing that I used the in-kernel
> decoders.

That sounds right.

> > Also what remote are you using (or more
> > specifically, what IR protocol does it use)?
> >

> The remove came with the analog TV card (avermedia pci pure m135a). I
> am not sure what protocol the remote uses. I'd really appreciate it if
> you could let me know how I can find that out.

That's a nec remote. Using ir-keytable (in the ir-keyable package on
Ubuntu) you change the protocol and see what's being sent.

However I guess the problem is that IR edges aren't being reported until
triggered by more IR edges.

> > Can you reproduce the issue on a more contemporary kernel?
> >

> Yes. The buggy behavior is present in Ubuntu 12.04 (IIRC, kernel
> v3.2.*). I also know that the buggy behavior is present at v3.4.x of
> the kernel. I haven't tested more recent kernels.

There is a lot code churn so it would be very helpful to have it
reproduced on a recent kernel.

Unfortunately your bisect wasn't entirely useful. You ended up at
e40b1127f994a427568319d1be9b9e5ab1f58dd1. Unfortunately that commit
introduced a bug which was not entirely resolved until
9800b5b619cd9a013a6f0c7d5da0dbbc17a5af30. If you do a bisect
again it would useful to skip anything between those commits.

Also is the issue intermittent or is your last key press *always*
missed?

Sean