Re: [RFC] omap3-isp G_FMT & ENUM_FMT

Hi Michael,

On Thursday 26 July 2012 16:22:17 Michael Jones wrote:
> On 07/26/2012 04:05 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 July 2012 13:59:54 Michael Jones wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I would like to (re)submit a couple of patches to support V4L2 behavior
> >> at the V4L2 device nodes of the omap3-isp driver, but I'm guessing they
> >> require some discussion first.
> >
> > Indeed.
> >
> > The main reason why the OMAP3 ISP driver implements G_FMT/S_FMT as it does
> > today is to hack around a restriction in the V4L2 API. We needed a way to
> > preallocate and possibly prequeue buffers for snapshot, which wasn't
> > possible in a standard-compliant way back then.
> >
> > The situation has since changed, and we now have the VIDIOC_CREATE_BUFS
> > and VIDIOC_PREPARE_BUF ioctls. My plan is to
> >
> > - port the OMAP3 ISP driver to videobuf2
> > - implement support for CREATE_BUFS and PREPARE_BUF
> > - fix the G_FMT/S_FMT/ENUM_FMT behaviour
>
> What will the G_FMT/S_FMT/ENUM_FMT behavior be then?  Can you contrast
> it with the behavior of my patches?  If the behavior will be the same
> for user space, and your proposed changes won't be in very soon, can we
> use my patches until you make your changes?

At the moment the driver accepts any format you give it in a S_FMT call,
regardless of the format of the connected pad. The reason for that is to allow
VIDIOC_REQBUFS to allocate buffers for an arbitrary size.

With CREATE_BUFS and PREPARE_BUFS support, G_FMT, S_FMT and ENUM_FMT should
return the format of the connected pad.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart