[RFC] omap3-isp G_FMT & ENUM_FMT

Hello,

I would like to (re)submit a couple of patches to support V4L2 behavior at the
V4L2 device nodes of the omap3-isp driver, but I'm guessing they require some
discussion first.

I've previously submitted one of them here [1] to support ENUM_FMT for the
omap3-isp. This sparked some discussion, the result of which was that my patch
probably made sense. Later [2], Laurent mentioned that there was some
discussion/decision about adding "profiles" to the V4L2 specification, and the
OMAP3 ISP would probably implement the "streaming" profile.  That was 7 months
ago and I haven't seen any discussion of such profiles.  Can somebody bring me
up to speed on this?

The purpose of these two patches is for the V4L2 device nodes to support
mandatory V4L2 ioctls G_FMT and ENUM_FMT, such that a pure V4L2 application,
ignorant of the media controller, can still stream the images from the video
nodes.  This presumes that the media controller would have been pre-configured.
This approach is often seen on the mailing list using 'media-ctl' to configure
the ISP, then 'yavta' to retrieve images.  Currently this works because yavta
doesn't require ENUM_FMT (unlike Gstreamer), and only as long as one sets the
same format with yavta as had already been set with media-ctl. I think yavta
should be able to just do G_FMT to see what is configured.

To be clear (as discussed in [1]), ENUM_FMT does not behave according to its
original intent, because it cannot enumerate possible formats the ISP can
deliver.  It will enumerate only one format: the one configured with the media
controller.  In a sense this complies with the specification, because S_FMT
wouldn't be able to change the format to anything else.

I have tested these patches on v3.4, but I have rebased them to v3.5 here.
I would remove the pr_debug() calls before submitting upstream, but they're
useful for testing.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg29640.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg40618.html

Michael Jones (2):
  [media] omap3isp: implement ENUM_FMT
  [media] omap3isp: support G_FMT

 drivers/media/video/omap3isp/ispvideo.c |   50 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1.7.4.1

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstrasse 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner, Erhard Meier