Re: PWC ioctl inappropriate for device (Regression)

Hi,

On 06/09/2012 07:06 PM, Bernard GODARD wrote:
Dear all,

I am using a Philips Toucam Pro 2 webcam with the program qastrocam-g2
(astronomy program that use some specific functions of the PWC
driver).
I have been using this program with this camera for a long time on
different Linux distributions without a problem.

With Ubuntu 12.04, I now get a kernel oops. See bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1010028

I have installed mainline kernel 3.4rc6 on my Ubuntu box to check if
the oops was fixed upstream. Now I am not getting the oops anymore

Good!

> but the IOCTL used to get/set the camera parameters are failing:

astro@saturn:~$ qastrocam-g2
<init> : Avifile RELEASE-0.7.48-120122-05:53-../src/configure
<init> : Available CPU flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic
sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall
nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl extd_apicid
pni cx16 la
<init> : 2200.00 MHz AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ detected
Getting Standard: Inappropriate ioctl for device
setWhiteBalance: Inappropriate ioctl for device
getWhiteBalance: Inappropriate ioctl for device
getWhiteBalance: Inappropriate ioctl for device
VIDIOCPWCGAGC: Inappropriate ioctl for device
ioctl (VIDIOCGWIN): Inappropriate ioctl for device
mmap: Invalid argument
VIDIOCPWCGDYNNOISE: Inappropriate ioctl for device
VIDIOCPWCGCONTOUR: Inappropriate ioctl for device
VIDIOCPWCSCONTOUR: Inappropriate ioctl for device
VIDIOCPWCGDYNNOISE: Inappropriate ioctl for device
VIDIOCPWCGCONTOUR: Inappropriate ioctl for device
VIDIOCPWCGDYNNOISE: Inappropriate ioctl for device
VIDIOCPWCGAGC: Inappropriate ioctl for device
VIDIOCPWCSAGC: Inappropriate ioctl for device
getWhiteBalance: Inappropriate ioctl for device
VIDIOCPWCSAGC: Inappropriate ioctl for device
VIDIOCPWCSSHUTTER: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[...]

As the names of the ioctls imply these are (were) custom pwc
ioctls, these were added in the v4l1 days as the v4l1 api did not
have a way to expose the desired functionality in a standard manner.

Support for the v4l1 API has been removed a number of kernel releases
ago and at the same time the pwc specific ioctls have been marked
as deprecated. And with kernel 3.2 they have finally been removed.

The same results can be achieved with the standard v4l2
VIDIOC_S_CTRL and VIDIOC_G_CTRL ioctls. I'm sorry to hear that the
removal of the custom pwc ioctls is causing problems for you, but
we really don't want to have any unneeded driver specific ioctls
with v4l2 devices.

So the qastrocam-g2 program needs to be modified to use the standard
controls interface to modify these settings on newer kernels.

Can you please send a bug report to qastrocam-g2 about this and add
me in the CC ?

Thanks,

Hans