Re: video capture driver interlacing question (easycap)

Hi Ezequiel

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012, Ezequiel García wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Ezequiel García <elezegarcia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > As you may know I'm re-writing from scratch the staging/easycap driver.
> >
> > Finally, after digging through the labyrinthic staging/easycap code,
> > I've reached a point where I'm able to understand isoc packets.
> > Despite not having any documentation (I asked several times) from chip vendor,
> > I can separate packets in odd and even.
> >
> > So, instead of receiving frames the device is sending me fields, right?
> >
> > My doubt now is this:
> > * Do I have to *merge* this pair of fields for each frame, or can I
> > give it to v4l?
> > If affirmative: how should I *merge* them?
> > * Is this related to multiplanar buffers (should I use vb2_plane_addr)?
> >
> > Currently, staging/easycap does some strange and complex conversion,
> > from the pair of fields buffers, to get a "frame" buffer (!) but I'm
> > not sure if it's the correct way to do it?
> >
> > I guess I can keep staring at em28xx (together with vivi/uvc/pwc) driver,
> > but if someone cares to give me a small hint or point me at a small portion
> > of code I'll be grateful.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ezequiel.
>
> Anyone?

This might help:

http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/field-order.html

i.e., no, you should not merge fields in the driver, IIRC, you just hand
them over to the user in separate buffers.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.