Re: HVR-1600 QAM recordings with slight glitches in them

On 12-04-28 02:36 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> One more question...

And to answer my own question, and provide some more data...

> I've never gotten my mind around SNRs and dBs, etc.  Generally speaking,
> am I looking for these "snr" values to go up or down (i.e. closer to 0
> or further away) to make my signal better?

Clearly, bigger numbers are better.  When I hook my HVR-1600 directly up
to the cable connection coming into the house with a 25 foot cable and a
barrel connector the SNR goes up to "148" (32.8 dB) so that's my
ceiling.  I can't leave it hooked up like this for anything more than a
few minutes so I can't be sure that's a high enough SNR for me to get
perfect recordings every time.

If I add one two way splitter to the incoming cable with one feed going
off to my cable modem and one to the HVR-1600, the SNR drops to "145"
(32.5 dB).  But again, I can't really leave it like that for too long.
so splitting that leg of the 2-way split 3 more times through a 3 way
splitter reduces the SNR at the HVR-1600 to between "142" and "145"
(32.2 - 32.5 dB).

I typically have one more splitter downstream from that 3 way splitter
which is a 4 way splitter to feed all of the tuners on my Mythtv box and
introducing that splitter reduces the SNR at the HVR-1600 to between
"13c" and "13e" (31.6 - 31.8 dB).

I have no idea where in these range of values "acceptable" is though.
Given that the HVR-1600 seems to be more sensitive to signal quality
that just about anything else in here, I suppose I could feed it more
directly from a split closer to the source signal.

Cheers,
b.